Objective Gait Analysis - Its Use in Practice
23 May 2024 09:00 - 17:00
Slimbridge Wetland Centre,
8 CPD hours
About the course
We are bringing together international experts to discuss how using objectivity can improve your lameness investigations. Martin Oosterlinck, a European Specialist in Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, will discuss the limitations and pitfalls of visual and objective lameness evaluation.
Thilo Pfau, who is flying over from Calgary, will share how to depict true from compensatory lameness and discuss gait assessment.
Giorgio Ricardi, an experienced lameness clinician, will discuss the use of gait analysis to assess the response to blocking and treatments. Kevin Keegan, from the University of Missouri, will also be joining us for the day. Kevin led the way with the initial use of objective gait analysis in equine practice and will provide his perspective on the discussions and practical sessions.
The programme will cover the use of inertial sensors to assess horses in a straight line, on the lunge, during flexion tests, following diagnostic analgesia, and how to establish true from compensatory lameness.
We will explore the systems available, how you can get the most out of them and how your practice would benefit from using them.
The day will be split in two with the following lectures taking place at Slimbridge Wetland Centre in the morning:
The afternoon sessions will take place at B&W Equine Hospital, where you will have the opportunity to use the different objective gait analysis systems and identify ways to use objective gait analysis in your everyday case load. You will also be invited to join us for a tour of the hospital.
What will I learn?
By the end of the course you will...
1. Have developed your understanding of biomechanics and gait analysis
2. Feel more confident in the use of Objective Gait Analysis of the horse
3. Have increased confidence in the use of Objective Gait Analysis for clinical cases using Equinosis Lameness Locator and EquiGait
Nadine Ogden BVSc CertAVP(EL) MScVPS FHEA DipACVSMR MRCVS
Kevin Keegan DVM MS Diplomate American College of Veterinary Surgeons Chief Science Officer
Thilo Pfau PhD
Giorgio Ricardi DrMedVet(Cum laude), CertISELP, MRCVS
Maarten Oosterlinck DVM, PhD, Dipl. ECVSMR, Dipl. ECVS
Kindly sponsored by Equinosis
Vet member: £330
Non member: £660
Terms and conditions
- If you book a place on a BEVA CPD course and are unable to attend due to any Covid-19 related issue you will receive a credit for the amount you paid. This credit can be used for any BEVA CPD and will be valid for a year from the date of issue. Please contact us as soon as possible if you are unable to attend a course.
- If BEVA are required to cancel or postpone a course for any reason, you can opt to receive a full refund or receive a credit for a future BEVA CPD course (valid for a year from the date of issue).
- A full refund will be made, less a 10% administration charge, if cancellation is more than 6 weeks before the start of the course
- A refund cannot be guaranteed if cancellation is less than 6 weeks before the start of the course. A refund will be made if BEVA can resell the place, less a 20% administration charge.
- Booked places can be transferred to another person free of charge. If the transferee is not a BEVA member they will be liable for the difference between the member and non-member rate.
- All delegates must have appropriate liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- Delegates must bring appropriate safety wear (coveralls, hard hats, boots etc) to courses involving practical sessions.
- BEVA may pass contact details of delegates to the organisers or sponsors of the course unless the delegate has specified otherwise.
- All delegates self-certify that they are a qualified veterinary surgeon or veterinary nurse and qualified to undertake the procedures being taught. Where the delegate is in training for such a qualification BEVA must be made aware of their training status at the time of booking.
By registering for this event, you accept the above terms and conditions.