With theft on the increase, there are several ways to keep both your horse and equipment safe.
- Get your horse or pony freeze-marked with a unique number branded on the neck or back; or get your farrier to brand your postcode on your horse’s hooves, although this will of course grow out in time.
- Microchip your horse - your vet will advise you on this. The advantages of microchipping are that it leaves no external marks, it is permanent and chips can be read at sales.
- Photograph your horse from different angles, with particular attention to distinctive marks.
- Chain and padlock both the latch and the hinge end of your gates.
- Do not leave headcollars on your horse or pony
- Mark your tack and equipment with your postcode. Some tack shops will be able to mark your tack for you with security marking tools.
- Secure your horse trailer or horsebox with wheel clamps.